I am not sure why, but growing up I always said I “hated” chicken pot pie. I am not sure why I thought that – since I honestly couldn’t ever remember actually trying a chicken pot pie, but I always thought that I did not like it. When I met Mike I quickly learned it was one of his all time favorites – loosely translating into “Lynsey you better figure out how to cook this.” I set out to create the perfect chicken pot pie – having no intention of even taste testing along the way. However, after a couple of attempts I concocted one that smelled so good while cooking, I could not resist trying it once it was finished. I’ve been hooked ever since.
This recipe is super simple – and super delicious. You can prepare it as a traditional pot pie, or – how my family prefers it – a “deconstructed” version over your favorite biscuits. Unlike most chicken pot pies that take forever to cook, this one takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish – and that includes chopping the onion!
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 rotisserie chicken – shredded
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables, steamed
- 6 small red potatoes, cubed and boiled
- 1 can of biscuits -or- pie crusts
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring constantly until onions and celery are soft.
- Add flour and seasonings and mix well.
- Gradually pour in milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly to mix thoroughly.
- Stir until it begins to bubble and thickens.
- Pour in vegetables, potatoes, and shredded chicken.
- Let cook on low for 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Then spoon over baked biscuits or spoon in to pie crusts and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Let pie stand 5 minutes before serving.
This is one recipe we never have leftovers for. The girls literally fight over who gets the last biscuit. One of these days I am going to have to double the recipe so I can have it for lunch the next day. It is so quick and easy and made with ingredients we normally have on hand, so it is perfect for a cold night meal to get us warm inside. Never again will I say I hate chicken pot pie – I LOVE IT!