So here we are at Thanksgiving. The day that most dieters either spend the day being miserable watching others indulge in foods that would leave them to self-loathing – OR – the day you completely blow your diet and consume every calorie you can possibly cram in. Me? I have been working for two solid weeks to come up with the most amazing dishes I can find that are as healthy as they are tasty, so that I do not hate myself OR blow my progress. So I was nearly giddy when I concocted a recipe for “apple pie” that is not only delicious, but I will not hate myself afterwards.
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Organic Blue Agave
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon Country Crock Light Margarine
- 18 wonton wrappers
- In a microwave safe bowl, put first four ingredients and mix until apple pieces are well coated. Add in next four ingredients and mix again until coated. Then put margarine on top of apple mixture. Microwave on high for one minute. Take the bowl our and stir. Microwave for another minute. Take out and stir. If apples are getting soft, proceed, otherwise microwave for another 30 seconds to one minute – being careful not to scorch. Let cool.
- Once mixture is cool, spoon a heaping teaspoon of apple pie mixture onto wonton, just off to one corner, being careful not to overfill.
- Dipping your finger in water, lightly dampen the edges of the wonton wrapper, and fold over. Press edges together gently to seal together.
- Place on non stick cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350* for about ten minutes or until wontons are turning brown and edges are getting crispy.
- Let cool and enjoy!
According to MyFitnessPal calculations*, each Wonton Apple Pie has about 38 calories, .4g fat, 7.5g carbs, and .8g protein… so you can eat several. But you will want to eat them fast – they will not last long. Between Mike, The Teen and Midge… all 18 of ours are already gone. Guess that was our after school snack.