With school officially out for summer, Midge and I have been cooking up a storm. Every day it has looked like a tornado has gone through the kitchen, but at least we are having fun and making memories. Our latest creation going about as far away from keto as you can possibly get - but hey, we are all about finding a balance around here - and sometimes I need a splurge. These delicious Butterscotch Brownies with Caramel Icing are just exactly that.
Butterscotch is my daughter's favorite flavor - I guess that is because it reminds her of her Papa who carries little butterscotch candies around in his pocket. Every time he sees her she knows he is going to reach his hand into his pocket and hand her a little gold wrapped candy. Her eyes just light up every time.
These Butterscotch Brownies are simple to make and taste amazing - plus they made the entire house smell like absolute heaven. I love that Midge is getting to the age that she is so much help in the kitchen - and she loves how "cool" experimenting with new recipes is. I have to say she is turning into quite the little chef. I, on the other hand, didn't learn to cook anything until I turned 30... so I am happy to be teaching her what I know but also learning right along with her.
I do want to try my hand at making a low carb version of these. As it was I just maintained extreme portion control - which I admit was easier said than done. Thankfully I still had some of my Keto Snickerdoodle Cookies on hand to curb my sweet tooth while the family devoured these.
- 1 cup of packed Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup of Flour
- ½ cup of chopped Walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt
- ¼ cup of Butter
- 1 Egg
- ½ teaspoon of Vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- ¼ cup of packed Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Milk
- 1 and ½ cups of Confectioners' Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 in. square baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, walnuts, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in butter, egg, and vanilla and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Pour batter into baking pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until baked through and golden.
- Let cool.
- In a small sauce pan bring butter, brown sugar and milk too a boil.
- Stir lightly and then reduce heat. Leave on heat for about one minute, and then remove from heat.
- Let cool COMPLETELY, and add in confectioners' sugar, the more you add the thicker it will get.
- Stir well with a spoon until smooth.
- Ice your brownies.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g