If you know me, you know I am a bit
maniacal passionate about dental hygiene. For as long as I can remember I have carried a toothbrush and toothpaste in my purse, and it is not uncommon for me to duck in to the restroom for quick brush the way most people wash their hands. My smile is my favorite feature about myself and it is important to me to keep my pearly whites looking and feeling their best at all times. I am also proud to say that I will be celebrating my 35th birthday this year – and have never had a cavity. Nor have either of my girls. Having a bright, white smile is important to everyone, so when I had the opportunity to team up with Colgate to show off their new Optic white Platinum products – I jumped at the chance.
Keeping your teeth as healthy and white as they can be does not have to be difficult. With just a few adjustments you can easily be on the road to optimum dental health. Here are a few tips:
1. Avoid dark highly acidic foods like coffee or red wine… or at least brush shortly there after. Girlfriends have made fun of me for carrying a toothbrush… right up until we are out having wine and they all have purple teeth. A quick brush after indulging in your favorite vino can help reduce teeth staining your teeth significantly. Rule of thumb – if it is dark going in, chances are in will stain your teeth. Cola, gravies, juices, etc can all contribute to less than pearly whites.
2. An Apple A Day… also keeps the dentist away! You know what they say about apples keeping the doctor away – but turns out they can help keep the dentist away too! Apples can help clean teeth as they are eaten because of their consistency and acidity. Working like “natures toothbrush,” apples can help keep your teeth clean and healthy when you can't get to a bathroom to brush. You can take this one step further and gargle with apple cider vinegar. ACV helps remove stains, whiten teeth, and kill bacteria in your mouth and gums.
3. Replace your toothbrush at least four times a year. Using the same toothbrush for months on end is never – ever – a good idea. The bristles in toothbrushes break down and can hold bacteria which lead to bad breath and ultimately can lead to gum disease or gingivitis. Replace your toothbrush often to make sure every time you brush you are getting the best results possible.
4. In the words of Fergie… Flossy Flossy! Ok, no, that isn't what she meant – but you know what I am getting at. Flossing your teeth really is just as important as brushing. Flossing helps get rid of plaque that you can not see – it isn't just about getting food out of there. Flossing daily can help you cut down on tooth decay and gum disease.
5. Use products like Colgate Optic White Platinum Express White. Colgate Optic White Platinum Express breakthrough formula is Colgate's fastest whitening toothpaste to date giving users whiter teeth in just three days! It contains two times more hydrogen peroxide as well as anti-cavity fluoride protection that Colgate is known for. Pair the new toothpaste with the Colgate 360 Optic White Platinum Manual Toothbrush and you have the perfect combination for a whiter smile.
I have been using these products for several days, and I really love them. The toothpaste is a thinner consistency than I am used to and almost feels like it gets warm in your mouth while you are brushing. The bristles on this brush are firm enough to know you are getting clean, without being harsh or irritating. You can pick up these and all other Colgate products at your local store.
Your smile is the first thing people notice about you – so use these five easy tips to make your first impression fantastic!