When I decided to do my first triathlon in the middle of the summer in Florida - I knew I wanted to spend the rest of the day on the beach celebrating with all of my new fellow "triathletes." A few weeks before the tri I was offered the opportunity to try Balls Vodka - and I knew just exactly what I wanted to do with it. Years ago I perfected the art of spiking a watermelon - and knew there would be nothing better on a crazy hot day in July than an ice cold vodka filled watermelon! I began "intoxicating" my delicious melon three days prior to the event - and it was absolutely perfect!
Balls Vodka is 100% American made vodka bottled in New York. It is a premium quality vodka with a sense of fun. Distilled four times it boasts a quite ballsy 80 proof while still being smooth. You can pour your Balls over ice or use in your favorite mixer.
How To Spike a Watermelon
1. Cut about a one inch square plug from the top of the watermelon rind.
2. Using a skewer, gently poke holes in the watermelon going every direction - about five holes.
3. Gently pour in vodka - letting it slowly seep in to the holes and in around the seeds.
4. Replace the plug and put in the refrigerator to absorb.
5. Repeat the process every 4-6 hours until you have reached your desired potency.
I have seen people simply turn the bottle up and leave it stuck in the watermelon, but in my experience that can make it entirely too strong. This method gives a great flavor, without it being so overbearing that you make a horrible face with every bite. Balls Vodka was the perfect choice for my watermelon - it gave it just enough zing without being bitter. I chose about an 8 pound melon and used about three cups of vodka. The result was absolutely delicious. And - since I had only used three cups from my Big Balls bottle - we had plenty left over to enjoy with Red Bulls and bloody mary mix. After all, it is important to rehydrate after a triathlon...