In just a few weeks we will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo - one of my favorite holidays. Mike's Mom is Mexican and has taught me how to cook some of THE most amazing dishes. Seriously I could eat Mexican food all day every day. One of the highlights of my trip to Cozumel was all of the Mexican food! Today this recipe landed in my inbox and I can not wait to try it. Everything about it - including it being healthy - sounds like something I could just devour. Plus I love any recipe that doesn't require a ton of cooking - hey, quick and easy is how I do food around here.
Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War, and has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage. Celebrations in the United States often extend beyond the actual day to encompass an entire week, with parades, festivals and fiestas that include music, dancing, and food. A dish like Mango Chicken Quesadillas takes the very traditional Mexican dish but combines shredded chicken with brown mustard, honey and Tabasco creating a flavorful filling and adding mango for a sweet twist. By preparing the meal on the IMUSA Cast Aluminum Comal the food is made healthier and the non-stick surface leaves clean up a breeze. Bringing a vigorous, home-style aroma to the party, this traditional Mexican dish will smells as delicious as it tastes.
IMUSA’s Mango Chicken Quesadillas
- brown mustard 3 tablespoons
- honey 2 tablespoons
- Tabasco or hot sauce 3 teaspoons
- salt 1 teaspoon
- Whole rotisserie chicken 1
- mozzarella 1 cup
- small red onion 1
- bunch cilantro 2.1
- ripened mango 1
- 8-10 inch flour tortillas
- non-stick spray
- sour cream, optional
1. Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl and mix with shredded chicken.
2. Heat a large IMUSA cast aluminum Comal on medium heat and spray lightly with some non-stick spray.
3. Add flour tortilla and spray top side with more non-stick spray.
4. After a minute, flip the tortilla and evenly spread ½ cup of cheese.
5. Then spread on half of the tortilla some chicken mixture, onions, cilantro, and mango.
6. Fold over tortilla, like a book, and allow cheese to melt completely. Cut into 4 wedges and serve with sour cream, if desired.
IMUSA Cast Aluminum Comal
A comal is a smooth, round and flat griddle that was typically used in Mexico to cook tortillas, toast spices, sear meat and generally prepare food.
The IMUSA Cast Aluminum Comal is perfect for warming tortillas, making crepes, toasting sandwiches, perfecting quesadillas, as well as cooking all your favorite breakfast foods such as pancakes and eggs. The cast aluminum achieves a great sear or char while the non-stick surface allows you to use less oil and makes clean-up super easy! The 9.5” is available at Target for $15.49 and the 12” is available at Macys for $29.99.
Leave a Reply