A few weeks ago Midge got a really – REALLY – bad sunburn. She went to the beach with her Dad and though he applied sunscreen, she was burnt to the point that she could not even wear a shirt for three days without crying out in pain. I took a picture – but honestly it is so bad I do not even want to share it. We spent three solid days with round the clock aloe, tons of water and asprin trying to ease her pain. Needless to say her Dad felt just awful. “I thought I did everything I was supposed to,” he said. And I truly believe him. There are so many misconceptions out there about sun care and what works and doesn't. Here are some tips you need to know about sunscreen to keep your family safe this summer.
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at
no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from
qualifying purchases. As an employee of Apogee, any affiliate links from our clients are at 0% commission and two-tiered referrals are at $0.
- Most people only use 25-50% of the amount of sunscreen that they should. The American Academy of Dermatology suggests you use AT LEAST one full ounce – enough to fill a shot glass – to cover the exposed areas of your skin.
- Sunscreen should be applied at minimum every two hours – more if you are swimming or excessively sweating.
- SUNSCREEN EXPIRES!!! Before heading out this Summer – check the expiration date on your sunscreen! The older sunscreen is – the less effective it is! I buy new products every year – just to be safe!
- Apply sunscreen BEFORE you go outside. This is one even I am guilty of forgetting. Sun protection isn't immediate – so slather up before you leave the house.
- Snow, sand, and water reflect the sun – which increases the need for sunscreen.
- Sunscreen should actually be worn daily – not just on days you are at the beach. An SPF 15 will help reduce the signs of aging while protecting your skin. Win-win.
OceanPotion is headquartered right here in Florida – and they know how to combat the Florida sunshine. With products for all ages – and even “anti aging” sun care – you can easily stock up and protect the whole family. We recently had the chance to go to the Hilton Bonnet Creek in Orlando where we spent countless hours in the lazy river. We all used various Ocean Potion products that I received for review – and even with full days outside – none of us burned. Not even a little bit.
My favorite Ocean Potion product was the Dab On Spot Stick. Midge does not mind having sunscreen applied to her body – but she hates having sunscreen applied to her face. I practically have to sit on her to get it on there. Even at 8 she scrunches up her nose and tries to pull away as soon as I get near her face. With the Dab On Stick I was able to just hand it to her and then supervise while she applied it all over her face. Since it is water resistant up to 80 minutes – we just simply took it down to the pool with us and put it on every hour – just in case. I wasnt taking any chances with her and the sun after that burn. Even after a full day on the water – her skin was perfectly fine! And *I* was one very very happy Mama.
You can pick up Ocean Potion products at your local Walgreens, Walmart, or many grocery stores. Keep your skin protected this year with the help of Ocean Potion!
Disclosure: I received the above product for the purpose of this review, all images and opinions are 100% my own.