Mike and I are an incredibly lucky couple. Even after more than four years together, we hear from a lot of our friends that we are that obnoxiously romantic couple that people are always telling to "get a room" - sneaking kisses at stoplights and pinching each others behinds in fancy restaurants. (What can I say? The man is hot!) We live together, work together (from home), and spend a lot of time just the two of us. In fact we have had a standing Weekly Date Night since the very first week we began dating.
However, sometimes our lives and romance fall into a slump, just like any other couple. We get stressed out, stretched too thin, over committed to people other than each other, and just basically fall into the rut of not putting each other first in our lives. Since I know first hand how detrimental that can be to a relationship, it isn't long before I am back to planning dates and scheduling fun stuff to do, even when we are crazy busy.
Lately we have been in that slump with Mike playing in some major poker tournaments and me involved in "Conference Season" where I seem to be out of town more than I am in town. When I was approached by Durex to be a part of their Get Closer, Go Further Campaign, I knew it was exactly what we needed for this overly stressed out time.
We know there is nothing sexier than having someone who wants you and only you. And the closer you get the further you can go…together. Durex® is a global leading sexual wellbeing brand worldwide. The brand not only produces condoms which exceeds global testing standards, but also offers lubricants and personal massagers. With over 80 years of experience in the bedroom, Durex is dedicated to inspiring lovers to love sex safely. That is why Durex will never stop innovating with new products that enhance the sexual experience, helping couples get closer and go further together.
Romantic Date Ideas - Inspired by Durex
To help "turn up the heat" with the Durex Get Closer, Go Further campaign, and knowing the next few weeks are ridiculously busy for the both of us, I have secretly set up a few romantic dates without Mike knowing. (and threatened his life if he read my blog) Durex is even offering ideas for you to do the same - check out their "Sparks" for inspiration.
1. Breakfast in Bed. Listen, I don't care what time of morning it is, bringing someone breakfast in bed while still wearing a cute little nightie is sexy. And whether you actually eat the food or not is completely optional. Since I am much more of an "early bird" than Mike is, this one is easy for me. Mike and I always begin our days with the "what do you have on your schedule today" talk - usually me having been already showered and dressed and him already heading to the office. This time however we will be having that same talk over pancakes, orange juice, and each other.
2. Recreate Your First Date. Whether you met surreptitiously in a bar or maybe it was a blind date to a restaurant, recreate your first date all over again - all the way down to what you ordered. You can even begin with "Hi, my name is..." Call the restaurant ahead of time to "warn" the waitress and you may be pleasantly surprised with what all a restaurant can do to help recreate your evening. *wink*
3. Go to a Sporting Event. Mike grew up involved in sports - the man knows just about everything there is to know about every sport on the planet. And though I have just begun my love affair with sports - namely football and hockey - I still love watching him watch sports and rattle of stories and statistics he knows. With Springtime here it is the perfect time for baseball games, preseason football, and golfing. Double bonus - calories from stadium food on sports dates don't count... 'specially if you work them off later.
4. Camping In Your Own Backyard. Is there anything more romantic than sleeping under the stars
with a bathroom close? With the weather finally warm enough to not make me a grouchy beast, I am excited to plan a weekend "camping" - without ever leaving home. Complete with a tent, smores, and no electronics! We will be left to our own... er... "devices."
5. Visit a Theme Park. In the last few years I have gotten to visit several theme parks - without kids!!! But also without Mike. I dont care what are you are, running around like a child at a theme park is fun. Ride rides. Play games. Get your faces painted. Eat junk food. Take pictures. And then come home and fall into bed utterly exhausted.
Whether you have been dating one year or ten years, making time for one another is key to the success of any relationship. And I am so excited to participate and support Durex's initiative to help couples Get Closer, Go Further both physically and emotionally, and I want to encourage all of my readers to do the same. After all, in the end, all that really matters in life is who and how we loved, right?
What are some date ideas you have for keeping things romantic in your relationship?
PS - Be sure to enter to win a free vacation to Mexico from Durex!