Even though it is a dreary day here on the Gulf Coast, I am already thinking of Spring and getting excited about some warmer weather! I am a true Florida girl who thinks anything under about 70 degrees is "freezing" and I am looking forward to days of going barefoot instead of fuzzy socks and house slippers! In an effort to help will Springtime to get here, I baked up these brightly colored cupcakes with a hidden surprise inside!
But these are not just your typical brightly colored cupcakes. To make these cupcakes even more fun I filled them with Spring M&Ms - a family favorite. What could be better than a light fluffy cupcake - with surprise chocolates inside?!
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 ½ sticks butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 2 drops pink gel food coloring
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup Spring colored M&Ms
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisk, and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs, mix until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and milk, alternating and mixing in between each addition.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full. Bake 18-20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together butter and powdered sugar, add vanilla and food coloring, mix again. Add milk slowly until frosting is the perfect consistency.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, cut a small piece out of the top.
- Fill with M&Ms, and trim the fluffy end of the piece you removed and just place the top of the cupcake back.
- Top the cupcakes with frosting and add sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 4g