A few weeks ago a friend of mine posted on Facebook that she "may never eat pasta again" after discovering the Vegetti. The Vegetti is a hand held vegetable spiralizer that lets you turn vegetables like squash, zucchini, and carrots into thin cut spiral "noodles." Oh, and it is less than 20 bucks!! I was a bit skeptical, but thought I would give it a shot. It has become one of my all time favorite kitchen gadgets.
Since starting Whole30 I have missed pasta so bad. Like really bad. Like had to talk myself out of cheating at least 3 times a week bad. So I was stoked to try the vegetti and see if I could have "pasta" again. I opted to go for alfredo (go big or go home, right?) using a Paleo Alfredo recipe made from cauliflower. In a word.... ahmayzing.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped (1 head)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Season All Salt
- First, you want to make your alfredo sauce. First, microwave your cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl with a bit of water until soft.
- Put cauliflower, chicken broth, coconut milk, salt, and garlic powder into your food processor and puree until thin.
- This will take a few minutes. In fact, I may have let it go too long because it was very very thin…
- Next, sauté your shrimp in olive oil and season all salt until done, and add to alfredo sauce.
- Transfer sauce and shrimp into a pan and warm on the stove to let the flavors mix together well.
- Finish by spiralizing your zucchini and yellow squash using your Vegetti. This takes just a few minutes and actually was fun. As I said, I was skeptical before, so I was pleasantly surprised when this worked as well as it did.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add your spiralized “noodles” for 2-3 minutes, until they are the softness that you want them. Be careful – overcooking makes them mushy. (I have since learned that you can also sauté the “noodles” in garlic and olive oil for even more flavor!)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1500mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 20g
Drain your "noodles" well in a colander and serve like you would your favorite pasta alfredo dish!