I am not sure why, but growing up I always said I "hated" chicken pot pie. I am not sure why I thought that - since I honestly couldn't ever remember actually trying a chicken pot pie, but I always thought that I did not like it. When I met Mike I quickly learned it was one of his all time favorites - loosely translating into "Lynsey you better figure out how to cook this." I set out to create the perfect chicken pot pie - having no intention of even taste testing along the way. However, after a couple of attempts I concocted one that smelled so good while cooking, I could not resist trying it once it was finished. I've been hooked ever since.
This recipe is super simple - and super delicious. You can prepare it as a traditional pot pie, or - how my family prefers it - a "deconstructed" version over your favorite biscuits. Unlike most chicken pot pies that take forever to cook, this one takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish - and that includes chopping the onion!
This is one recipe we never have leftovers for. The girls literally fight over who gets the last biscuit. One of these days I am going to have to double the recipe so I can have it for lunch the next day. It is so quick and easy and made with ingredients we normally have on hand, so it is perfect for a cold night meal to get us warm inside. Never again will I say I hate chicken pot pie - I LOVE IT!
Simple Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This is the easiest Chicken Pot Pie recipe ever! Great flavor and simple ingredients, this is the perfect weeknight meal in minutes.
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup celery, , chopped
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- 1 rotisserie chicken – shredded
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables, , steamed
- 6 small red potatoes, , cubed and boiled
- 1 can of biscuits -or- pie crusts
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring constantly until onions and celery are soft.
- Add flour and seasonings and mix well.
- Gradually pour in milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly to mix thoroughly.
- Stir until it begins to bubble and thickens.
- Pour in vegetables, potatoes, and shredded chicken.
- Let cook on low for 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Then spoon over baked biscuits or spoon in to pie crusts and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Let pie stand 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 699mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g
Cat Davis says
My youngest would go crazy for this! She's a pot pie fanatic.
This looks so good!
But tell me... what are biscuits? Is that an 'American' thing? I've never heard of them before!
Moscato Mom says
Um... rolls? Bread rolls? I don't know what other word to use for them LOL
My husband would love this!! I'll have to make this for him when he's home next!
Cyn Hughes says
Okay, I am making this stat. It looks delicious and simple. I'll make it with chicken for the fam and veggies for me. Yay!
Andrea H says
This looks so good! I love that it only takes 30 minutes. Most nights I'm too tired to spend hours in the kitchen. Pinning for later!